Thursday, February 21, 2008

Adieu, Hostelworld...

Dear Hostelworld.com,

You have been a kind friend and advisor for some time now. I´ve come to depend on your advice on where to stay and I enjoy knowing you reccommend places where the staff are knowledgeable and will provide direction about things to do. However, I think our time to part ways has come. I´m sorry. I can´t. Don´t hate me.

You see, last night (well, this morning) some very drunk, aggressive and vile 18-year old Australians and a Glaswegian who was old enough to know better came back to their roome (read:shared with us) at 4am and decided they had no need to be quiet or kind. Instead, they decided to talk about their travelling companions sexual proclivities, unpack and repack their bags, swear and throw things around. Now, we tried asking them to keep it down, but things just got ugly--the drunkenness was a significant contributing factor, I´m sure. As was their age and obvious inexperience with the world as a whole. So, they swore and yelled at us and called us C***S and Effing Yanks and spoke disparagingly about the Spanish and basically made me really dislike them. In the middle of the night. Grr.

This morning, interestingly, they weren´t willing to use the same language or epithets to my face. In fact, when invited to use the C-word a much as they wanted, surprisingly they seemed embarassed. Imagine that! They were like little children caught with their hands dirty or mouth full of ill-gotten candy or whatever.

So, hostelworld.com, the time has come where I will no longer require your services. While the chance to meet new people is awesome, that´s just as easy in various other places and situations. However, I´m not required to spend time with assholes outside of the room if I don´t want to. And that´s the difference, really. So, anyway, thanks Hostelworld for the fun times, but I bid you Adieu!

Sincerely,
Meredith Porter
Tired Traveller
Grouchy-from-lack-of-sleep, Madrid.

1 comment:

gibletquesterrs said...

That's the thing about hostels that got to me the most - the ettiquette. You are absolutely expected to deal with drunken assholes, snorers, the inappropriately curious, any and all manner of social malfeasants at any time of the night. That's hostel life. That's the excitement.

Hope you're having a fine vacation otherwise!