Friday, May 11, 2007

Ahh, rain. How utterly predictable.

Hiya!
Well, firstly, it's been raining here. Lots. Every day. And last night Mike really wanted some stuff for dinner, so I rode the scooter into town in the rain. It was very cold and wet, but I made it.
Speaking of scooters....Here they are. Old school no? And yes, they do make it up hills, if just barely. Yay! Also, we have big 'L is for Learner' plates on the back of our bikes because of the whole other side of the road thing. And yes, I have accidentally ended up driving on the right side of the road. Last night, actually. When I was coming back from Tesco, I kinda spaced and my mind was elsewhere, as sometimes happens when driving. And, well, I went to the right side of the road, which was across 2 lanes of what would be oncoming traffic if anyone else was driving in them. Thank goodness it was after 6, when the town clears out. The person behind me kindly honked to remind me that I'm a bloody Colonial, and that was that. So, no death. Almost, but not quite.



On another note, some interesting things have been happening in the town square recently. One of these interesting things included 'Red Indians' doing a tribal dance. Oh, yes. Grass skirts and regalia and all. And the best part about this was their BRITISH ACCENTS! I've taken some pics, but they're not great. There was no way I was going to get past that crowd to the front of the line...


So, when the square isn't full if 'Red Indians' it seems that a Fair (we would call it a Carnival and be OK with all those creepy connotations...) has come to town. It lasted a few days and all the locals did was complain about what it did to traffic. And, to be fair, it does seem that the rides were sadly underused. Mind you, it was raining.

This is right downtown, to compare with where the Red Indians were:









Oh, and also, we walked over to Morton - on - Lugg the other night, to see what we could see. No beer, sadly, but there were SHEEP!

And the highlight of last week was, of course, when Erika and Lester came for a visit. It was loads of fun, and just what was needed considering the sorry state of our affairs over the last few weeks.


Mike has an interview to attend on Monday, and I'm going alone to the city of Gloucester to attempt to get a National Insurance Number. I was hoping to start work this coming week, but of course paperwork is still holding up the process. Guh. So, looks like I probably won't be starting until the week of the 21st, which is almost exactly a month since we've arrived. Wow.

We're still working to sort out the GSCC registration mishmash as well. My appeal of their 'not suitable' ruling is due postmarked no later than the 30th of May, which is only a couple weeks away. But, I'm feeling allover better about life, which is all that really matters. On the 21st we're supposed to be going down to Bristol to have dinner with Erika and Lester, as they're going to be in Minehead (a few hours away) for a music festival. And, also, Claire will be making her way to Dublin on the 19th, so we will likely hook up with her if just for a day some time soon.

Worse comes to worse, Facebook is a good way to spend WAAAAYYY too much time online. It's like every day is a High School Reunion!

On that warm and fuzzy not, I bid you adieu. Also, I would like to add, that I love it when people post comments....hint, hint.

No comments: