Sunday, May 27, 2007

cllyrddlly ("Hello" in Welsh)...

...Okay, it doesn't mean 'hello' in Welsh. I made it up, but I'm willing to bet that 'cllyrddly' means SOMETHING in Welsh. Basically, this was just a shameless segueway into the fact that I went to Cardiff today. Meredith is visiting Erika and Lester and Claire in Ireland this weekend (I opted out as we're going back in a couple of weeks), so I decided to take a little trip today. Cardiff is the capital of Wales, and it's only about 1 1/2 hours from Hereford by train. Very cool city. I took some pictures of the castle on my phone, but I don't think I can upload them onto here...stay tuned. It's funny how you see certain things in certain places and wonder 'why them?' Case in point, I mostly walked all over the downtown core of Cardiff today and what did I see everywhere? Burger King! (in Welsh, it's 'bwyrgyr cyyngll'....no it isn't). Now, no worries because I happen to love Burger King and most definitely had a Whopper meal for lunch, but I saw like 5 of them in a 10 block radius. Strange. I also saw the Millennium Stadium in town. It's a huge soccer/rugby stadium where they have big league finals every year. It's a pretty cool piece of architecture, and absolutely massive, but unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it. My phone died when I was at the castle. Here's the wiki link to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Stadium


So, some good and bad things happened this week. The bad first; my Aunty Alice passed away on Wednesday. She was 93. I'm still kind of numb about it to be honest. While of course I realize that she has lived a really long and eventful life, it's still hard to believe she is gone forever. I'm going to miss her a lot. But, as is the case with everyone in my family, I have a lot of wonderful memories to remember her by, so I suppose she will live on that way.

As for good news, I finally found a job. Well, it's a temp job but it's a start. I got set up with a recruitment firm in town which sets up temporary assignments in your field. So, I'm doing data entry for a gardening centre. I know, you're thinking "data entry? You mean, you just sit at a computer and punch numbers into a database all day?" I know you're all thinking that's all I'm doing there, but the truth is......well, it actually is all I'm doing there. Whatever, it's something to do for the time being, and it's a few bucks in our pockets until Meredith starts (they STILL haven't sent her letter from human resources...I swear, these people make Telus look speedy and efficient). I have a couple of phone interviews from a couple of English schools tomorrow. So, if I get on there, it'll take care of my summer work. Beyond that, we'll see.

Weather today is cold, windy, and rainy. Nothing to write home about, so I won't.

So, I should make some dinner. Meredith is back tomorrow evening and I'm looking forward to seeing her. Anyway, that's all for now. Talk to y'all soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Love your blogs!!! Did you get my last email? Aunty Alice's obit. Can't wait for your pics. Love, Mom and Dad p.s. Good luck with the job hunting.