Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Want some sour grapes with that?

Okay, so I didn't get that job at Hereford Library. They called me on Monday afternoon and gave me the news. Apparently my answers 'didn't provide enough examples', so they went with another person. Fair enough, it wasn't my greatest interview but here's the kicker: the person they hired had NO library experience and NO training. I'm not really sure why they told me that, but hey thanks for making me feel even worse. Anyway, after a few hours of self indulgent wallowing I thought about it with a clearer head and it occurred to me that I didn't have a chance at getting that job anyway. I certainly don't think I'm the greatest manbrarian in the world, but I am strongly suspecting that they had this other person in mind before I even walked in the building. Meredith said it was probably someone's nephew or friend who they picked. Anyway, forget them.

But, onward. I have applied for lots of different jobs in the past couple of days. There were some ESL jobs in this general region that I've applied for. Also, Central Trains is sending me a package in the post. Also, I applied for some office work at a council office in town, and I sent my resume to a couple of recruiters who may be able to find me some temp work in the meantime. In a way, this has been a good reminder that there are lots of jobs that I'd like to do, and I need to not just focus on libraries. In fact, I think the ESL tutoring jobs look pretty sweet: Big money, flexible hours, and it's a chance to help out the Polish immigrants in the community (who frankly are treated by the locals as a combination of pigeons and that crud on the side of a ketchup bottle).

Meredith should be getting her start date in a day or so, which will make us both feel more at ease. We have determined that we can live on one income if need be. One advantage to living on the farm is that our expenses are not that big. So, I don't necessarily have to live and die by my job searches. Having said that, I am definitely itching to do something.

Well, today is another day. I just need to keep at it. Meredith was bang on when she said it would be difficult for me to get something quickly.

So, that's all for now. Next up will be....you heard it here first....an ode to Quorn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey guys well keep your heads up. europe is a great place to do something you've never done before and get paid exorbitantly for it. you'll find something just be open to all opportunities. ttys. f.