Friday, March 2, 2007

Ronnie Dobbs gets arrested in England

Well, the position has been finalized and the formal job offer has come from their management and to Julian. He called me this morning to let me know--of course, I missed the phone. Gah. That is why Star Trek is so much more efficient--they need only speak out loud to answer theirs. When I'm making a mad dash for my robe and my vibrating, shrilling phone at 6am, I am overcome by intense jealousy....

So, I will have a departure date on Monday. Which is very exciting. We get to book one-way tickets to England...Yay! My visa and work permit also came through this week, and Mike's supporting documents have been sent to the British High Commission; we're just waiting for response for his. As I didn't submit the correct papers, they didn't give me the British Ancestry visa that I applied for--instead they gave me Right of Abode, which gives me the right to live and work in Britain until my passport expires. Then, if I want, I can reapply for it and get another one. I don't really know what this means or what they're talking about--I just know that the solid black letters say, 'RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE UK' which makes me not want to throw up.

Now, to sell the scooter. When I have done that I will really feel like I'm on my way. And, also, I might cry a little. The scooter has been deemed, 'Unprotected' in the underground parking lot, and Mom keeps insisting that she absolutely will not drive it to work. I think she would like it come summer--she's working at Holes now, which would be the perfect place to drive to on a scooter. Alas, she's all worried about things like 'getting squished' and 'other drivers.' No heart... So, it must go. It shall make room for a car and a scooter in the UK. If anyone knows anyone who wants a 2006 50cc Piaggio Typhoon including helmets and locks for $2300, let me know. It's only got 3,000 kms on it, and I'll throw in the first 2 pre-paid visits to Top Gear for service.

It's weird to think that our location will change soon. I will no longer be living in Edmonton, my home. Just for a while, but still. Anyway, I will sign off for today. Mike and I are driving Mom to work, and then we're babysitting for Morgaine. She's 8 months now; so cute. When I figure out how to post pictures, I think she'll be one of them. Bye!

2 comments:

erikat said...

I'm so excited for you--just think, we can spend Easter together!

You should throw a link to our blog on here and I will do likewise.

Meredith said...

I totally will--for those of you who do not know, Erika and her partner Lester are good friends [as opposed to sucky ones?!] who are currently located in Dublin, Ireland. You can read about their adventures at www.lesterikatravelblog.blogspot.com.